Glen L. Nuttall
US and International Patent and Trademark Prosecution and Portfolio Management; Invention Identification and Patentability Evaluation; Complex Licensing Arrangements and other Transactional Matters; Advanced Patent Prosecution such as Appeals, Reexaminations, and Reissues; Patent Infringement and Validity Studies and Opinions; Design-around Strategies; Due Diligence
Mechanical and Electromechanical Devices; Manufacturing Equipment and Methods; Computer Software; Medical Devices and Methods (including cardiac, vascular, esophageal and skeletal); Engines and Automotive Technologies; Marine Propulsion and Control; LED-based Lighting Products; Heat Management, Particularly for Electronics; Musical Instruments; Sports Equipment.
J.D., Brigham Young University – J. Reuben Clark, Jr. Law School, cum laude (1998)
Extern to Hon. Dee V. Benson, Federal District Court Judge, D. Utah
BYU Law Review – Articles Editor
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Brigham Young University cum laude (1994)
Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
Golden Key National Honor Society
Glen Nuttall is a seasoned attorney that counsels clients in all aspects of intellectual property law. He helps clients develop and implement strategies that use patents, trademarks and other intellectual property to add value to their company. He also helps clients avoid or overcome the intellectual property of others.
Glen’s skills and experience include helping engineers identify and preserve inventions, preparing and prosecuting patents and trademarks in the U.S. and foreign countries, developing and maintaining complex patent and trademark portfolios, performing infringement and invalidity evaluations of the patents and trademarks of others, negotiating and preparing licenses and other agreements, assisting with company acquisitions and investment rounds, and litigation.
Before becoming a lawyer, Glen was an engineer at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation in eastern Washington. In this capacity he became certified to enter and work in radiation areas, and helped to clean up toxic substances.
Prior to joining the firm, Glen was a partner for several years at Knobbe, Martens Olson & Bear, LLP.
Admitted to practice law in California
Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
J. Reuben Clark Law Society (former Chair, Orange County, CA chapter)
LinkedOC – member of Advisory Board
Orange County Bar Association
American Network, Inc. v. Sorenson Communications, Inc., 10 CV 8342 (SAS) (Southern District of New York). Represented defendant in trademark litigation. Negotiated settlement in which plaintiff ceased all use of defendant’s mark. 2011.
In re Pyro-Spectaculars, Inc., 63 U.S.P.Q.2d 2022 (TTAB 2002). Represented client in appeal before U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Won reversal of examining attorney’s final refusal to register client’s mark.
Mission Hockey Co. v. Roller Derby Skate Corp., SA CV 02-1117-AHS (Central District of California). Represented plaintiff in patent litigation. Won summary judgment that defendant’s product infringed plaintiff’s patent. Negotiated settlement in which defendant paid royalties for past and future sales. 2004.
Ex parte Thomas J. Lochtefeld and Jeffery W. Henry, U.S. Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences, Appeal No. 2009-011101: Represented patent applicant in appeal of rejection of utility patent application. The Appeals Board overturned the examiner’s rejection, and all of the claims were issued in U.S. Patent No. 8,096,891, entitled “Redundant Array Water Delivery System for Water Rides”
- Patent No. US9016026 Method and system for forming frameless buildings
- Patent No. US9014195 Packet forwarding method and system
- Patent No. US9011169 Connectors with electrical or signal carrying capabilities and related methods
- Patent No. US9009206B1 Method and system for optimizing traversal and storage of directory entries of a storage volume
- Patent No. US9008277 Continuous contact X-ray source
- Patent No. US9004805 Multi-stage engagement assemblies and related methods
- Patent No. US9004432 Rotatable housing assembly
- Patent No. US9003155 Method and system for managing storage units
- Patent No. US9003038B1 Systems and methods for bandwidth scavenging among a plurality of applications in a network
- Patent No. US9002549 Multimedia information and control system for automobiles
- Patent No. US8997363 Target positioning systems and methods
- Patent No. USd725799 Facade for window-mounted air conditioner
- Patent No. USd724061 Pillow speaker with controls for an A-V display
- Patent No. US8996832 Method and system for responding to client requests for information maintained by storage systems
- Patent No. US8996798 Systems and methods for using TCAMs in network devices
- Patent No. US8996730 System and method to restore maximum payload size in a network adapter
- Patent No. US8996179B2 Movement simulator
- Patent No. US8995732 System and method for digital tooth imaging
- Patent No. US8995457 Systems and methods for modifying frames in a network device
- Patent No. US8995455 Memory devices for network devices and associated methods
- Patent No. US8995425 Network device scheduler and methods thereof
- Patent No. US8994156 Semiconductor device packages with solder joint enhancement elements
- Patent No. US8992502B2 Flexible storage container
- Patent No. US8989191 Systems and methods for hard zoning in networks
- Patent No. US8989162 Point-to-multipoint microwave communication
- Patent No. US8989134 Allotment of radio resources in a base station of a broadband network
- Patent No. US8985519 Load-carrying system for transport aeroplane
- Patent No. US8979802 Safety IV catheter assembly with seal
- Patent No. US8979624 Multiple user interactive interface
- Patent No. US8979029 System for carrying and dropping loads for a transport airplane
- Patent No. US8978052 System and methods for inter-driver communication
- Patent No. US8977786 Method and system for processing information at peripheral devices
- Patent No. US8977476 Automatic shutdown system for automobiles
- Patent No. US8976800 Configurable switch element and methods thereof
- Patent No. US8976667 Method and system for programmable delay before transmission pausing
- Patent No. US8976066 Beam-forming antenna with amplitude-controlled antenna elements
- Patent No. US8971376 Broad area laser pump combiner
- Patent No. US8971352 High accuracy 1588 timestamping over high speed multi lane distribution physical code sublayers
- Patent No. US8967900 Hygienic writing instrument and method of using
- Patent No. US8959365 Methods of providing fast search, analysis, and data retrieval of encrypted data without decryption